Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[PHP] iphone & php

Posted by Jim Giner 
Jim Giner
[PHP] iphone & php
March 05, 2012 06:22PM
An appl that has been working fine for a year now and fine up through last
week, suddenly is not working on my iphone. The only differences between
using it on a pc, ipad or iphone are for font sizes and such (handled by JS)
so I'm puzzled as to what is going on. I do the same exact thing on each of
these 3 devices and the iphone fails. The specifics are : I'm entering a
date into an input field and php is supposed to retrieve it and display a
record that is retrieved using that input. The iphone for some reason is
not getting my input (passed via POST) correctly, yet it's the same script
being run for each device.

Trying not to paranoid, but does anyone think that Apple could have done
something to my iphone in the last few days?



--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Stuart Dallas
Re: [PHP] iphone & php
March 05, 2012 06:22PM
On 5 Mar 2012, at 17:16, Jim Giner wrote:

> An appl that has been working fine for a year now and fine up through last
> week, suddenly is not working on my iphone. The only differences between
> using it on a pc, ipad or iphone are for font sizes and such (handled by JS)
> so I'm puzzled as to what is going on. I do the same exact thing on each of
> these 3 devices and the iphone fails. The specifics are : I'm entering a
> date into an input field and php is supposed to retrieve it and display a
> record that is retrieved using that input. The iphone for some reason is
> not getting my input (passed via POST) correctly, yet it's the same script
> being run for each device.
>
> Trying not to paranoid, but does anyone think that Apple could have done
> something to my iphone in the last few days?

Of all the possible things that could have happened in order of likelihood, that's sandwiched between aliens having taken over your phone and the ghost of Steve Jobs up to mischief!

Have you debugged the code to see what your script is receiving from Safari? If not then I respectfully refer you to the advice you recently gave Jay.

-Stuart

--
Stuart Dallas
3ft9 Ltd
http://3ft9.com/
Jim Giner
Re: [PHP] iphone & php
March 05, 2012 06:43PM
"Stuart Dallas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]..
On 5 Mar 2012, at 17:16, Jim Giner wrote:

> An appl that has been working fine for a year now and fine up through last
> week, suddenly is not working on my iphone. The only differences between
> using it on a pc, ipad or iphone are for font sizes and such (handled by
> JS)
> so I'm puzzled as to what is going on. I do the same exact thing on each
> of
> these 3 devices and the iphone fails. The specifics are : I'm entering a
> date into an input field and php is supposed to retrieve it and display a
> record that is retrieved using that input. The iphone for some reason is
> not getting my input (passed via POST) correctly, yet it's the same script
> being run for each device.
>
> Trying not to paranoid, but does anyone think that Apple could have done
> something to my iphone in the last few days?

Of all the possible things that could have happened in order of likelihood,
that's sandwiched between aliens having taken over your phone and the ghost
of Steve Jobs up to mischief!

Have you debugged the code to see what your script is receiving from Safari?
If not then I respectfully refer you to the advice you recently gave Jay.

-Stuart

Actually, I have been working on it for about 4 hours now. Very simple
script (like all of mine) that is working rock solid on 2 out of 3 boxes.
In the last few mins I re-booted my phone and it is now doing something even
worse! As I fill in the date field using the iphone, the chars are showing
up in the field onscreen. But - once I close the keyboard (not submit) -
the input field reverts to ONLY one character! This also happens if I hit
the Next button on the keyboard to advance to the next input field. And it
is that character that my php script then receives when I do submit the
form. I have no code anywhere that addresses the input fields with JS so
it's not something that I have 'forgotten' about - it is totally new and
strange behavior. And no, google has nothing to say about this (yet).



--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Mike Mackintosh
Re: [PHP] iphone & php
March 05, 2012 06:43PM
On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:30, "Jim Giner" <[email protected]> wrote:

Download dolphin browser, it's a free safari replacement using webkit. Try you app in there and post back the results.

Mike Mackintosh
ZCE PHP5.3
www.highonphp.com

--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Jay Blanchard
Re: [PHP] iphone & php
March 05, 2012 06:43PM
[snip]In the last few mins I re-booted my phone and it is now doing
something even worse! [/snip]

Have you also cleared the cache and the cookies?

You can also add Firebug to your iPhone -
http://www.iphone-my.com/ipad/geting-firebug-iphone-ipad/

--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Mike Mackintosh
Re: [PHP] iphone & php
March 05, 2012 07:01PM
On Mar 5, 2012, at 12:52, "Jim Giner" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> "Jay Blanchard" <jay.blanchard@sigm[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]..
>> [snip]In the last few mins I re-booted my phone and it is now doing
>> something even worse! [/snip]
>>
>> Have you also cleared the cache and the cookies?
>>
>> You can also add Firebug to your iPhone -
>> http://www.iphone-my.com/ipad/geting-firebug-iphone-ipad/
>
> No - I didn't go that far, but I can. More testing has revealed that Safari
> running on my PC also doesn't like to accept the date I'm inputting. As
> soon as I tab off the field, it changes itself to whatever my first two
> digits were.
>
>
>
> --
> PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
> To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
>

Is your input an HTML 5 date time field?
--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Mari Masuda
Re: [PHP] iphone & php
March 05, 2012 07:01PM
On Mar 5, 2012, at 9:52 AM, Jim Giner wrote:

>
> "Jay Blanchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]..
>> [snip]In the last few mins I re-booted my phone and it is now doing
>> something even worse! [/snip]
>>
>> Have you also cleared the cache and the cookies?
>>
>> You can also add Firebug to your iPhone -
>> http://www.iphone-my.com/ipad/geting-firebug-iphone-ipad/
>
> No - I didn't go that far, but I can. More testing has revealed that Safari
> running on my PC also doesn't like to accept the date I'm inputting. As
> soon as I tab off the field, it changes itself to whatever my first two
> digits were.

Do you have a maxlength set by accident?
--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Jim Giner
Re: [PHP] iphone & php
March 05, 2012 07:01PM
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mari Masuda" <[email protected]>
To: "Jim Giner" <[email protected]>
Cc: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2012 12:57 PM
Subject: Re: [PHP] iphone & php


On Mar 5, 2012, at 9:52 AM, Jim Giner wrote:

>
> "Jay Blanchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]..
>> [snip]In the last few mins I re-booted my phone and it is now doing
>> something even worse! [/snip]
>>
>> Have you also cleared the cache and the cookies?
>>
>> You can also add Firebug to your iPhone -
>> http://www.iphone-my.com/ipad/geting-firebug-iphone-ipad/
>
> No - I didn't go that far, but I can. More testing has revealed that
> Safari
> running on my PC also doesn't like to accept the date I'm inputting. As
> soon as I tab off the field, it changes itself to whatever my first two
> digits were.

Do you have a maxlength set by accident?

No. As I said - this appl is a year old and works fine. Or did work. See
next post for solution.



--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Jim Giner
Re: [PHP] iphone & php
March 05, 2012 07:11PM
""Jim Giner"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]..
>
> "Jay Blanchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]..
>> [snip]In the last few mins I re-booted my phone and it is now doing
>> something even worse! [/snip]
>>
>> Have you also cleared the cache and the cookies?
>>
>> You can also add Firebug to your iPhone -
>> http://www.iphone-my.com/ipad/geting-firebug-iphone-ipad/
>
> No - I didn't go that far, but I can. More testing has revealed that
> Safari running on my PC also doesn't like to accept the date I'm
> inputting. As soon as I tab off the field, it changes itself to whatever
> my first two digits were.
>

Okay - here's the scoop - although this is not the forum for it.

Ipads and Iphones respect an html input tag's type="number" attribute in
order to trigger the device's different keyboard configurations. This is a
neat trick that I found on a couple of apple-related sites and has been
working fine. I just now removed that from my code that generates the html
and Voila - problem gone. Apparently Safari has been modified recently is
my guess.



--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Ashley Sheridan
Re: [PHP] iphone & php
March 05, 2012 07:11PM
Jim Giner <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>""Jim Giner"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]..
>>
>> "Jay Blanchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]..
>>> [snip]In the last few mins I re-booted my phone and it is now doing
>>> something even worse! [/snip]
>>>
>>> Have you also cleared the cache and the cookies?
>>>
>>> You can also add Firebug to your iPhone -
>>> http://www.iphone-my.com/ipad/geting-firebug-iphone-ipad/
>>
>> No - I didn't go that far, but I can. More testing has revealed that
>
>> Safari running on my PC also doesn't like to accept the date I'm
>> inputting. As soon as I tab off the field, it changes itself to
>whatever
>> my first two digits were.
>>
>
>Okay - here's the scoop - although this is not the forum for it.
>
>Ipads and Iphones respect an html input tag's type="number" attribute
>in
>order to trigger the device's different keyboard configurations. This
>is a
>neat trick that I found on a couple of apple-related sites and has been
>
>working fine. I just now removed that from my code that generates the
>html
>and Voila - problem gone. Apparently Safari has been modified recently
>is
>my guess.
>
>
>
>--
>PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
>To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php

What format was your date in? It was my understanding that only numerical characters with a preceeeding sign and decimal point was allowed? I would expect a date to be in the form dd/mm/yyyy or dd-mm-yyyy (allowing for swapping months and days of course) but neither is a valid number.

Thanks,
Ash
http://ashleysheridan.co.uk

--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Jim Giner
Re: [PHP] iphone & php
March 05, 2012 07:21PM
"Ashley Sheridan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]..


Jim Giner <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>""Jim Giner"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]..
>>
>> "Jay Blanchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]..
>>> [snip]In the last few mins I re-booted my phone and it is now doing
>>> something even worse! [/snip]
>>>
>>> Have you also cleared the cache and the cookies?
>>>
>>> You can also add Firebug to your iPhone -
>>> http://www.iphone-my.com/ipad/geting-firebug-iphone-ipad/
>>
>> No - I didn't go that far, but I can. More testing has revealed that
>
>> Safari running on my PC also doesn't like to accept the date I'm
>> inputting. As soon as I tab off the field, it changes itself to
>whatever
>> my first two digits were.
>>
>
>Okay - here's the scoop - although this is not the forum for it.
>
>Ipads and Iphones respect an html input tag's type="number" attribute
>in
>order to trigger the device's different keyboard configurations. This
>is a
>neat trick that I found on a couple of apple-related sites and has been
>
>working fine. I just now removed that from my code that generates the
>html
>and Voila - problem gone. Apparently Safari has been modified recently
>is
>my guess.
>
>
>
>--
>PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
>To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php

What format was your date in? It was my understanding that only numerical
characters with a preceeeding sign and decimal point was allowed? I would
expect a date to be in the form dd/mm/yyyy or dd-mm-yyyy (allowing for
swapping months and days of course) but neither is a valid number.

Thanks,
Ash
http://ashleysheridan.co.uk

My entry is valid - mm/dd/yyyy. Works great on teh ipad, not the iphone



--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Stuart Dallas
Re: [PHP] iphone & php
March 05, 2012 07:21PM
On 5 Mar 2012, at 18:12, Jim Giner wrote:
>>> Okay - here's the scoop - although this is not the forum for it.
>>>
>>> Ipads and Iphones respect an html input tag's type="number" attribute
>>> in
>>> order to trigger the device's different keyboard configurations. This
>>> is a
>>> neat trick that I found on a couple of apple-related sites and has been
>>>
>>> working fine. I just now removed that from my code that generates the
>>> html
>>> and Voila - problem gone. Apparently Safari has been modified recently
>>> is
>>> my guess.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
>>> To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
>>
>> What format was your date in? It was my understanding that only numerical
>> characters with a preceeeding sign and decimal point was allowed? I would
>> expect a date to be in the form dd/mm/yyyy or dd-mm-yyyy (allowing for
>> swapping months and days of course) but neither is a valid number.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ash
>> http://ashleysheridan.co.uk
>
> My entry is valid - mm/dd/yyyy. Works great on teh ipad, not the iphone


I might be wrong, but I think Ash was actually asking why the hell a date field had that type attribute set to number. That's just messed up!!

-Stuart

--
Stuart Dallas
3ft9 Ltd
http://3ft9.com/
Jim Giner
[PHP] Re: iphone & php
March 05, 2012 07:21PM
Solution!

Found this post from last Fall. Didn't experience the problem because my
appl is a NASCAR one and the season ended before this problem was created,
apparently by an Apple update on my phone.

Here's a link to the story:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3408352?tstart=0

To summarize - apparently ios 5.0 changed how the number attribute works on
an input tag. Now it sees any input using that feature as a purely numeric
field which in my case causes my date entry to be truncated once the first
slash was hit. Now that I'm using my appl with the start of the new season,
I'm running into it.

Thanks for all the interest and help.



--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Jim Giner
Re: [PHP] iphone & php
March 05, 2012 07:31PM
"Stuart Dallas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]..
On 5 Mar 2012, at 18:12, Jim Giner wrote:
>>> Okay - here's the scoop - although this is not the forum for it.
>>>
>>> Ipads and Iphones respect an html input tag's type="number" attribute
>>> in
>>> order to trigger the device's different keyboard configurations. This
>>> is a
>>> neat trick that I found on a couple of apple-related sites and has been
>>>
>>> working fine. I just now removed that from my code that generates the
>>> html
>>> and Voila - problem gone. Apparently Safari has been modified recently
>>> is
>>> my guess.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
>>> To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
>>
>> What format was your date in? It was my understanding that only numerical
>> characters with a preceeeding sign and decimal point was allowed? I would
>> expect a date to be in the form dd/mm/yyyy or dd-mm-yyyy (allowing for
>> swapping months and days of course) but neither is a valid number.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ash
>> http://ashleysheridan.co.uk
>
> My entry is valid - mm/dd/yyyy. Works great on teh ipad, not the iphone


I might be wrong, but I think Ash was actually asking why the hell a date
field had that type attribute set to number. That's just messed up!!

-Stuart

--
Stuart Dallas
3ft9 Ltd
http://3ft9.com/

Cause it triggers the iphone to pop up a non-alpha keyboard which makes
entering a data field easier (you don't have to explicitly switch to it with
a keypress). The default kyb is an all-alpha one.



--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Marc Guay
Re: [PHP] iphone & php
March 05, 2012 07:40PM
And if you change your input type to "date", because it's a date, does
that bring up the numeric keys as well?

--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Jim Giner
Re: [PHP] iphone & php
March 05, 2012 08:01PM
"Marc Guay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:CAL0DAJq0y-iOMvt4Ko+D4Z_t+oo3PT9SYmR+9foa=[email protected]..
> And if you change your input type to "date", because it's a date, does
that bring up the numeric keys as well?

actually I have not seen anything that suggests that is a possible option.
I am about to test something that I just received from Apple tho......



--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Robert Williams
Re: [PHP] iphone & php
March 05, 2012 08:20PM
On 3/5/12 11:58, "Jim Giner" <[email protected]> wrote:


>"Marc Guay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:CAL0DAJq0y-iOMvt4Ko+D4Z_t+oo3PT9SYmR+9foa=[email protected]...
>> And if you change your input type to "date", because it's a date, does
> that bring up the numeric keys as well?
>
>actually I have not seen anything that suggests that is a possible
>option.
>I am about to test something that I just received from Apple tho......

Yep, it's in there, as part of HTML 5. In iOS, support for it was added
with Safari 5, so that's probably why the behavior of the 'number' type
changed. There are others, too; see:

<https://developer.apple.com/library/safari/#documentation/appleapplication
s/reference/SafariHTMLRef/Articles/InputTypes.html>
http://www.w3schools.com/html5/att_input_type.asp


Regards,
Bob

--
Robert E. Williams, Jr.
Associate Vice President of Software Development
Newtek Businesss Services, Inc. -- The Small Business Authority
https://www.newtekreferrals.com/rewjr
http://www.thesba.com/







Notice: This communication, including attachments, may contain information that is confidential. It constitutes non-public information intended to be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s). If the reader or recipient of this communication is not the intended recipient, an employee or agent of the intended recipient who is responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, or if you believe that you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and promptly delete this e-mail, including attachments without reading or saving them in any manner. The unauthorized use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this e-mail, including attachments, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail or telephone and delete the e-mail and the attachments (if any).

--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Jim Giner
Re: [PHP] iphone & php
March 05, 2012 09:02PM
"Robert Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:CB7A5DD7.828C6%[email protected]..
On 3/5/12 11:58, "Jim Giner" <[email protected]> wrote:


>"Marc Guay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:CAL0DAJq0y-iOMvt4Ko+D4Z_t+oo3PT9SYmR+9foa=[email protected]..
>> And if you change your input type to "date", because it's a date, does
> that bring up the numeric keys as well?
>
>actually I have not seen anything that suggests that is a possible
>option.
>I am about to test something that I just received from Apple tho......

Yep, it's in there, as part of HTML 5. In iOS, support for it was added
with Safari 5, so that's probably why the behavior of the 'number' type
changed. There are others, too; see:

<https://developer.apple.com/library/safari/#documentation/appleapplication
s/reference/SafariHTMLRef/Articles/InputTypes.html>
http://www.w3schools.com/html5/att_input_type.asp


Regards,
Bob

--
Robert E. Williams, Jr.
Associate Vice President of Software Development
Newtek Businesss Services, Inc. -- The Small Business Authority
https://www.newtekreferrals.com/rewjr
http://www.thesba.com/



I now see that to be true. In fact, it works really well on the iphone the
ipad
mail or telephone and delete the e-mail and the attachments (if any).



--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Ashley Sheridan
Re: [PHP] iphone & php
March 05, 2012 10:51PM
On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 14:43 -0500, Jim Giner wrote:

> "Robert Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:CB7A5DD7.828C6%[email protected]..
> On 3/5/12 11:58, "Jim Giner" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
> >"Marc Guay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:CAL0DAJq0y-iOMvt4Ko+D4Z_t+oo3PT9SYmR+9foa=[email protected]..
> >> And if you change your input type to "date", because it's a date, does
> > that bring up the numeric keys as well?
> >
> >actually I have not seen anything that suggests that is a possible
> >option.
> >I am about to test something that I just received from Apple tho......
>
> Yep, it's in there, as part of HTML 5. In iOS, support for it was added
> with Safari 5, so that's probably why the behavior of the 'number' type
> changed. There are others, too; see:
>
> <https://developer.apple.com/library/safari/#documentation/appleapplication
> s/reference/SafariHTMLRef/Articles/InputTypes.html>
> http://www.w3schools.com/html5/att_input_type.asp
>
>
> Regards,
> Bob
>
> --
> Robert E. Williams, Jr.
> Associate Vice President of Software Development
> Newtek Businesss Services, Inc. -- The Small Business Authority
> https://www.newtekreferrals.com/rewjr
> http://www.thesba.com/
>
>
>
> I now see that to be true. In fact, it works really well on the iphone the
> ipad
> mail or telephone and delete the e-mail and the attachments (if any).
>
>
>


I just recall seeing a lot of buzz about the various input types and
support for them recently on the WhatWG mailing lists. I believe more
up-to-date versions of Firefox, Chrome and Opera will be validating
number fields for only numerical data too.

Apparently there is also an undocumented "feature" of iOS that triggers
the numerical input; putting the word 'zip' or 'phone' as part (or all)
of the input name, even if the type of the input is set to something
like 'text'

--
Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login