Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[PHP] Hello

Posted by Alan Feuerbacher 
Alan Feuerbacher
[PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 05:10PM
Hi,

I subscribed to this list a few days ago. I thought there would be a lot
of traffic, but I've seen none. Is this list active?

Alan

--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Andy McKenzie
Re: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 05:20PM
On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Alan Feuerbacher <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I subscribed to this list a few days ago. I thought there would be a lot
> of traffic, but I've seen none. Is this list active?
>
> Alan
>
>
It is active, but not very.

Andy
Aziz Saleh
Re: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 05:30PM
On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 11:16 AM, Andy McKenzie <[email protected]>
wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Alan Feuerbacher <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I subscribed to this list a few days ago. I thought there would be a lot
> > of traffic, but I've seen none. Is this list active?
> >
> > Alan
> >
> >
> It is active, but not very.
>
> Andy
>

https://marc.info/?l=php-general

Not very busy
Tobias Fichtner
AW: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 05:30PM
Hi Alan,

and welcome to this List.

The List is still active.


Regards,
Tobias


-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Alan Feuerbacher [mailto:[email protected]]
Gesendet: 28 August 2017 17:08
An: php-general@lists.php.net
Betreff: [PHP] Hello

Hi,

I subscribed to this list a few days ago. I thought there would be a lot of traffic, but I've seen none. Is this list active?

Alan

--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/) To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php



--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Larry Martell
Re: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 05:30PM
On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Alan Feuerbacher <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I subscribed to this list a few days ago. I thought there would be a lot of
> traffic, but I've seen none. Is this list active?

All the cool kids are using django and python. For the unfortunates
who still have to use PHP (like me) most questions are going to stack
overflow.

--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Tedd Sperling
Re: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 06:10PM
> On Aug 28, 2017, at 11:08 AM, Alan Feuerbacher <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I subscribed to this list a few days ago. I thought there would be a lot of traffic, but I've seen none. Is this list active?
>
> Alan
>
> --
> PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
> To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
>

We’re here — just waiting for questions.

Cheers,

tedd
_______________
tedd sperling
tedd.sperling@gmail.com






--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Alan Feuerbacher
Re: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 07:40PM
On 8/28/2017 9:24 AM, Larry Martell wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Alan Feuerbacher <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I subscribed to this list a few days ago. I thought there would be a lot of
>> traffic, but I've seen none. Is this list active?
>
> All the cool kids are using django and python. For the unfortunates
> who still have to use PHP (like me) most questions are going to stack
> overflow.

Howdy,

I haven't heard of django, but I know a smattering of python. I'm not
very experienced with any language besides C and a couple of
internal-only industrial languages I had to use when I was still
working. Now I'm expanding my Linux skills.

I take it PHP is somewhat outdated. Why?

I wanted to learn PHP for a specific purpose: extracting specific data
from an existing XML page. After doing some reading of books and on the
Net, I thought that PHP would do the trick. It does, but it's been a
struggle.

I know that PHP is mainly for Web applications, but I'm not doing any of
that.

Alan


--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Alan Feuerbacher
Re: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 07:50PM
On 8/28/2017 10:03 AM, Tedd Sperling wrote:
>
>> On Aug 28, 2017, at 11:08 AM, Alan Feuerbacher <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I subscribed to this list a few days ago. I thought there would be a lot of traffic, but I've seen none. Is this list active?
>
> We’re here — just waiting for questions.

Just champing at the bit, eh? :-)

Well here's one: Is PHP actively maintained, or going into obsolescence?

Alan

--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
AshleySheridan
Re: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 07:50PM
On Mon, 2017-08-28 at 11:40 -0600, Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
> On 8/28/2017 10:03 AM, Tedd Sperling wrote:
> > > On Aug 28, 2017, at 11:08 AM, Alan Feuerbacher <[email protected]
> > > et> wrote:
> > >
> > > I subscribed to this list a few days ago. I thought there would
> > > be a lot of traffic, but I've seen none. Is this list active?
> >
> > We’re here — just waiting for questions.
>
> Just champing at the bit, eh? :-)
>
> Well here's one: Is PHP actively maintained, or going into
> obsolescence?
>
> Alan
>

It's very actively maintained, and some incredible work on PHP 7 has
been happening recently, it's well worth checking out the new features
available between 7 and 5.6 (there was no 6, because it's cool to skip
version numbers
Tobias Fichtner
AW: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 08:00PM
Hi Alan,

PHP is maintained in different versions (5.6, 7, 7.1.)

Mainpage for information is under https://php.net/

There are many Stacks for Web development for different Platforms, my personal favourite for windows is wpn-xm (https://wpn-xm.org) with a mass (if u need) extensions.

You can use PHP as CLI Version too, a GTK (outdated) version is also available.


Regards,
Tobias


-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Alan Feuerbacher [mailto:[email protected]]
Gesendet: 28 August 2017 19:40
An: php-general@lists.php.net
Betreff: Re: [PHP] Hello

On 8/28/2017 10:03 AM, Tedd Sperling wrote:
>
>> On Aug 28, 2017, at 11:08 AM, Alan Feuerbacher <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> I subscribed to this list a few days ago. I thought there would be a lot of traffic, but I've seen none. Is this list active?
>
> We’re here — just waiting for questions.

Just champing at the bit, eh? :-)

Well here's one: Is PHP actively maintained, or going into obsolescence?

Alan

--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/) To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php



--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Ryan Pallas
Re: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 08:10PM
On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Alan Feuerbacher <[email protected]>
wrote:

> On 8/28/2017 10:03 AM, Tedd Sperling wrote:
>
>>
>> On Aug 28, 2017, at 11:08 AM, Alan Feuerbacher <[email protected]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I subscribed to this list a few days ago. I thought there would be a lot
>>> of traffic, but I've seen none. Is this list active?
>>>
>>
>> We’re here — just waiting for questions.
>>
>
> Just champing at the bit, eh? :-)
>
> Well here's one: Is PHP actively maintained, or going into obsolescence?


Actively maintained. The newest version is coming out later this year (7.2)
and is currently in beta. There is however discontinued support for older
versions (<5.6). I dunno about all the cool kids, but most of the
professional web developers I know use PHP very often or full time.


>
> Alan
>
> --
> PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
> To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
>
>
Larry Martell
Re: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 08:20PM
On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Alan Feuerbacher <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 8/28/2017 9:24 AM, Larry Martell wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Alan Feuerbacher <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I subscribed to this list a few days ago. I thought there would be a lot
>>> of
>>> traffic, but I've seen none. Is this list active?
>>
>>
>> All the cool kids are using django and python. For the unfortunates
>> who still have to use PHP (like me) most questions are going to stack
>> overflow.
>
>
> Howdy,
>
> I haven't heard of django, but I know a smattering of python. I'm not very
> experienced with any language besides C and a couple of internal-only
> industrial languages I had to use when I was still working. Now I'm
> expanding my Linux skills.
>
> I take it PHP is somewhat outdated. Why?
>
> I wanted to learn PHP for a specific purpose: extracting specific data from
> an existing XML page. After doing some reading of books and on the Net, I
> thought that PHP would do the trick. It does, but it's been a struggle.
>
> I know that PHP is mainly for Web applications, but I'm not doing any of
> that.

I am not saying there isn't any, but I personally do not know of any
new websites being built with PHP. Any new sites that I know of are
being done with django or flask. But there are a lot of existing PHP
sites out there, enough to keep us all very busy.

--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Alan Feuerbacher
Re: AW: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 08:20PM
On 8/28/2017 11:49 AM, Tobias Fichtner wrote:

Hi Tobias,

> PHP is maintained in different versions (5.6, 7, 7.1.)
>
> Mainpage for information is under https://php.net/

Yes, I've looked at that a lot.

> There are many Stacks for Web development for different Platforms, my personal favourite for windows is wpn-xm (https://wpn-xm.org) with a mass (if u need) extensions.

What is a Stack?

I'm not going to be doing Web development (at least, not for the
foreseeable future), and I'm getting away from Windows into Linux.

> You can use PHP as CLI Version too, a GTK (outdated) version is also available.

I've been using PHP exclusively in the CLI version, as a language much
like C but with a lot of special features like XMLReader. It's also
higher-level than C, which makes many tasks easier.

Alan

--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Alan Feuerbacher
Re: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 08:20PM
On 8/28/2017 11:43 AM, AshleySheridan wrote:

> It's very actively maintained, and some incredible work on PHP 7 has
> been happening recently, it's well worth checking out the new features
> available between 7 and 5.6 (there was no 6, because it's cool to skip
> version numbers
Leam Hall
Re: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 08:40PM
On 08/28/2017 02:17 PM, Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> I hope you folks don't mind what will likely be dumb newbie questions. :-)
>
> Alan

Alan, here's the deal. If PHP does what you need and you enjoy it, then
jump right in. Lots of people, including me, have fretted over "the
perfect language". I don't have time to learn the perfect language for
each task. Don't have the brains for it either.

If the language is fun for you then you will probably write more code in
it than "the perfect language" that isn't as fun. More code == better
coding skills.

I've done PHP for CLI stuff because I was doing PHP at the time and
enjoying the heck out of it. As you move to Linux you'll need some shell
and another language. Most folks use Python for scripting and C for
systems work. That's where the job market is. If you're doing your own
thing then PHP, Ruby, Go, or whatever is just fine. They are all free
and have more to explore than you can get to in a year.

The key is to have fun as you learn.

Leam



--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Sam Hobbs
Re: AW: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 08:40PM
Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
> What is a Stack?

I have been programming since 1971 and I have seen the term "stack" but
never taken the time to look it up. I assume it is another of many words
that are used just to be different and that other terms (such as library
or API) would also work.

--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Sam Hobbs
Re: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 08:40PM
Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
> I hope you folks don't mind what will likely be dumb newbie questions. :-)

Look around the php.net web site and the documentation especially.

However this mailing list is definitly not like Stackoverflow; there are
many rude and arrogant members in Stackoverflow.

--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Larry Martell
Re: AW: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 08:50PM
On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 2:15 PM, Alan Feuerbacher <[email protected]> wrote:
> What is a Stack?

In this context a stack is the technologies that are layered to
implement your system. For example LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) is
a stack. Or Linux, Nginx, MySQL, Django, python.

--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
AshleySheridan
Re: AW: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 08:50PM
On Mon, 2017-08-28 at 11:34 -0700, Sam Hobbs wrote:
> Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
> > What is a Stack? 
>
> I have been programming since 1971 and I have seen the term "stack"
> but 
> never taken the time to look it up. I assume it is another of many
> words 
> that are used just to be different and that other terms (such as
> library 
> or API) would also work.
>

The stack refers to the whole architecture, e.g. Linux Apache MySQL PHP
(LAMP)

Library is a collection of classes/functions usually, sometimes as
compiled code and not PHP source, that performs a specific task (or a
group of related tasks). An example would be something like the GD
library, which adds lots of image functionality to PHP.

An API is an interface, which could be a remote one like in the case of
Twitter, or a local one, such as an interface to a database.

-- 
Thanks,
Ash

http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
Leam Hall
Re: AW: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 08:50PM
On 08/28/2017 02:42 PM, Larry Martell wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 2:15 PM, Alan Feuerbacher <[email protected]> wrote:
>> What is a Stack?
>
> In this context a stack is the technologies that are layered to
> implement your system. For example LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) is
> a stack. Or Linux, Nginx, MySQL, Django, python.
>

Yeah. A lot of the cool kids moved to the MEAN stack; MongoDB,
ExpressJS, AngularJS, and Node. The idea of one language, Javascript,
between all components seems like a good idea. I like MongoDB but am not
enough of a web guy to care about the others.

Leam

--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Sam Hobbs
Re: AW: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 09:20PM
Larry Martell wrote:
> In this context a stack is the technologies that are layered to
> implement your system. For example LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) is
> a stack. Or Linux, Nginx, MySQL, Django, python.

In the context of TCP/IP the term "stack" is clearly relevant since
there clearly is a hierarchy with the standard defining it. The network
protocol standard prevents each layer from using layers that are not
next to it, correct? In the context of LAMP there is no defined layer;
they all swim together and the term "stack" becomes as clear as mud.

People tend to use terms beyond their original definition and thereby
often make the term useless.


--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Narcis Garcia
Re: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 09:40PM
El 28/08/17 a les 20:08, Larry Martell ha escrit:
>
> I am not saying there isn't any, but I personally do not know of any
> new websites being built with PHP. Any new sites that I know of are
> being done with django or flask. But there are a lot of existing PHP
> sites out there, enough to keep us all very busy.
>

www.actiu.net/tepeve


--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
AshleySheridan
Re: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 10:10PM
On Mon, 2017-08-28 at 21:28 +0200, Narcis Garcia wrote:
> El 28/08/17 a les 20:08, Larry Martell ha escrit:
> > I am not saying there isn't any, but I personally do not know of
> > any
> > new websites being built with PHP. Any new sites that I know of are
> > being done with django or flask. But there are a lot of existing
> > PHP
> > sites out there, enough to keep us all very busy.
> >
>
> www.actiu.net/tepeve
>
>

Ah, been a while since we've had some spam on the list


-- 
Thanks,
Ash

http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
Alan Feuerbacher
Re: AW: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 10:10PM
On 8/28/2017 12:34 PM, Sam Hobbs wrote:
>
>> What is a Stack?
>
> I have been programming since 1971

So you're an old guy like me.

> and I have seen the term "stack" but
> never taken the time to look it up. I assume it is another of many words
> that are used just to be different and that other terms (such as library
> or API) would also work.

Having read some of the later replies, now I get it.

Until now, "stack" in computer context to me meant "memory stack".

Alan

--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Alan Feuerbacher
Re: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 10:20PM
On 8/28/2017 12:34 PM, Leam Hall wrote:
>
> Alan, here's the deal. If PHP does what you need and you enjoy it, then
> jump right in. Lots of people, including me, have fretted over "the
> perfect language". I don't have time to learn the perfect language for
> each task. Don't have the brains for it either.

I'm with you. I like PHP partly because it's familiar -- I know C and
awk fairly well -- and partly because it has many extra capabilities
that simplify programming. And it's a fun challenge.

> If the language is fun for you then you will probably write more code in
> it than "the perfect language" that isn't as fun. More code == better
> coding skills.
>
> I've done PHP for CLI stuff because I was doing PHP at the time and
> enjoying the heck out of it. As you move to Linux you'll need some shell
> and another language. Most folks use Python for scripting and C for
> systems work. That's where the job market is. If you're doing your own
> thing then PHP, Ruby, Go, or whatever is just fine. They are all free
> and have more to explore than you can get to in a year.

I already know Unix/Linux fairly well, and know many of the advantages
and limitations of shell scripting. Haven't yet had the need/opportunity
to learn Python, but likely I'll start that soon. Mostly this is for
learning interesting stuff that I never had time for when I was still
working.

Alan


--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Alan Feuerbacher
Re: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 10:20PM
On 8/28/2017 12:37 PM, Sam Hobbs wrote:
>
>> I hope you folks don't mind what will likely be dumb newbie questions.
>> :-)
>
> Look around the php.net web site and the documentation especially.

Some days I practically live on the Web, looking at all manner of sites
and documentation.

> However this mailing list is definitly not like Stackoverflow; there are
> many rude and arrogant members in Stackoverflow.

Thanks for the tip. I've hit upon Stackoverflow many times when
searching for an answer to a problem. Many of the replies are
unnecessarily testy and terse, but often there's useful information.

Alan

--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Alan Feuerbacher
Re: AW: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 10:20PM
On 8/28/2017 12:42 PM, Larry Martell wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 2:15 PM, Alan Feuerbacher <[email protected]> wrote:
>> What is a Stack?
>
> In this context a stack is the technologies that are layered to
> implement your system. For example LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) is
> a stack. Or Linux, Nginx, MySQL, Django, python.

Gotcha.

Alan


--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Alan Feuerbacher
Re: AW: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 10:20PM
On 8/28/2017 12:44 PM, AshleySheridan wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-08-28 at 11:34 -0700, Sam Hobbs wrote:
>> Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
>>> What is a Stack?

> refers to the whole architecture, e.g. Linux Apache MySQL PHP
> (LAMP)
>
> Library is a collection of classes/functions usually, sometimes as
> compiled code and not PHP source, that performs a specific task (or a
> group of related tasks). An example would be something like the GD
> library, which adds lots of image functionality to PHP.
>
> An API is an interface, which could be a remote one like in the case of
> Twitter, or a local one, such as an interface to a database.

Thanks!

Alan

--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Larry Garfield
Re: AW: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 11:00PM
On 08/28/2017 01:15 PM, Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
> On 8/28/2017 11:49 AM, Tobias Fichtner wrote:
>
> Hi Tobias,
>
>> PHP is maintained in different versions (5.6, 7, 7.1.)
>>
>> Mainpage for information is under https://php.net/
>
> Yes, I've looked at that a lot.
>
>> There are many Stacks for Web development for different Platforms, my
>> personal favourite for windows is wpn-xm (https://wpn-xm.org) with a
>> mass (if u need) extensions.
>
> What is a Stack?
>
> I'm not going to be doing Web development (at least, not for the
> foreseeable future), and I'm getting away from Windows into Linux.
>
>> You can use PHP as CLI Version too, a GTK (outdated) version is also
>> available.
>
> I've been using PHP exclusively in the CLI version, as a language much
> like C but with a lot of special features like XMLReader. It's also
> higher-level than C, which makes many tasks easier.
>
> Alan

PHP is alive and well, runs about 80% of the web, and has new versions
of the language released regularly every fall. There's PHP community
conferences just about every month or more somewhere in the world and
Meetup groups in almost every major city, plus some minor ones.

I work at a hosting company, Platform.sh, and people launch new PHP
sites with us on a daily basis. Most are built on some existing
application or framework -- Drupal, Symfony, Magneto, WordPress,
Laravel, etc. -- as is typical of PHP these days. We also host Node,
Ruby, Python, and Go, but PHP is by far the biggest business driver.

Our CLI tool is written in PHP. Most of our backend software Python,
with a bit of Go thrown in. At some point we'll probably move the CLI
to Go to make it easier to install for our non-PHP users, but for now it
works quite well.

PHP isn't the right tool for every job by any means, but if you're
working on the web it's absolutely a viable and popular tool. If you're
doing strictly command line work, PHP can certainly do the job but
Python or Go are equally viable, I'd say; that decision should be made
based on what you find comfortable to work with and what your other
systems are using. (If you have 15 services written in Ruby, use Ruby
for your CLI tools, not PHP. If you have 12 PHP apps running, a PHP CLI
tool makes total sense.) If you want a background daemon PHP can do
that but it's not ideal; I'd personally look toward Go at that point but
there are other plenty of options.

If you're doing web work, PHP should almost always be a consideration as
it's still the #1 language out there by a wide margin; those "cool kids"
doing "cool things" in Node or Ruby or whatever are a tiny fraction of
the market in comparison. :-)

--Larry Garfield


--
PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/)
To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php
Sam Hobbs
Re: AW: [PHP] Hello
August 28, 2017 11:30PM
Excuse me for top-posting but my email client is stupid.

Memory stacks are definitely stacks and that is a very appropriate use
of the term.

> Alan Feuerbacher <mailto:[email protected]>
> Monday, August 28, 2017 1:01 PM
> On 8/28/2017 12:34 PM, Sam Hobbs wrote:
>>
>>> What is a Stack?
>>
>> I have been programming since 1971
>
> So you're an old guy like me.
>
>> and I have seen the term "stack" but never taken the time to look it
>> up. I assume it is another of many words that are used just to be
>> different and that other terms (such as library or API) would also work.
>
> Having read some of the later replies, now I get it.
>
> Until now, "stack" in computer context to me meant "memory stack".
>
> Alan
>
> Sam Hobbs <mailto:[email protected]>
> Monday, August 28, 2017 11:34 AM
>
>
>
>
> I have been programming since 1971 and I have seen the term "stack"
> but never taken the time to look it up. I assume it is another of many
> words that are used just to be different and that other terms (such as
> library or API) would also work.
>
> Alan Feuerbacher <mailto:[email protected]>
> Monday, August 28, 2017 11:15 AM
> On 8/28/2017 11:49 AM, Tobias Fichtner wrote:
>
> Hi Tobias,
>
>> PHP is maintained in different versions (5.6, 7, 7.1.)
>>
>> Mainpage for information is under https://php.net/
>
> Yes, I've looked at that a lot.
>
>> There are many Stacks for Web development for different Platforms, my
>> personal favourite for windows is wpn-xm (https://wpn-xm.org) with a
>> mass (if u need) extensions.
>
> What is a Stack?
>
> I'm not going to be doing Web development (at least, not for the
> foreseeable future), and I'm getting away from Windows into Linux.
>
>> You can use PHP as CLI Version too, a GTK (outdated) version is also
>> available.
>
> I've been using PHP exclusively in the CLI version, as a language much
> like C but with a lot of special features like XMLReader. It's also
> higher-level than C, which makes many tasks easier.
>
> Alan
>
> Tobias Fichtner <mailto:[email protected]>
> Monday, August 28, 2017 10:49 AM
> Hi Alan,
>
> PHP is maintained in different versions (5.6, 7, 7.1.)
>
> Mainpage for information is under https://php.net/
>
> There are many Stacks for Web development for different Platforms, my
> personal favourite for windows is wpn-xm (https://wpn-xm.org) with a
> mass (if u need) extensions.
>
> You can use PHP as CLI Version too, a GTK (outdated) version is also
> available.
>
>
> Regards,
> Tobias
>
>
> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
> Von: Alan Feuerbacher [mailto:[email protected]]
> Gesendet: 28 August 2017 19:40
> An: php-general@lists.php.net
> Betreff: Re: [PHP] Hello
>
> Just champing at the bit, eh? :-)
>
> Well here's one: Is PHP actively maintained, or going into obsolescence?
>
> Alan
>
> --
> PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/) To unsubscribe, visit:
> http://www.php.net/unsub.php
>
>
>
> Alan Feuerbacher <mailto:[email protected]>
> Monday, August 28, 2017 10:40 AM
>
>
> Just champing at the bit, eh? :-)
>
> Well here's one: Is PHP actively maintained, or going into obsolescence?
>
> Alan
>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login