Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[Module] ngx_http_gzip issue : unknown directive "gzip"

Posted by nik mur 
Hi,

Recently I upgraded my nginx to 1.12 version from 1.10 branch.

The build from source went through without any issues, but while starting
Nginx I am receiving this error:

*>>[emerg] 342#342: unknown directive "gzip" in
/usr/local/apps/nginx/etc/conf.d/gzip.conf:2*

GZIP was working fine on 1.10 so I am really confused what the issue is
here, the GZIP module is enabled by default is my understanding.

Can anybody guide me in the right direction what's the issue here.

Here is my configure script for reference

*LDFLAGS="-L$PPS_PATH/lib" CPPFLAGS="-I$PPS_PATH/include" ./configure \*
* --prefix=$PATH_NGINX/etc \*
* --sbin-path=$PATH_NGINX/sbin/nginx \*
* --conf-path=$PATH_NGINX/etc/nginx.conf \*
* --error-log-path=$PATH_NGINX/var/log/error.log \*
* --http-log-path=$PATH_NGINX/var/log/access.log \*
* --pid-path=$PATH_NGINX/var/run/nginx.pid \*
* --lock-path=$PATH_NGINX/var/run/nginx.lock \*
* --http-client-body-temp-path=$PATH_NGINX/var/cache/client_temp \*
* --http-proxy-temp-path=$PATH_NGINX/var/cache/proxy_temp \*
* --http-fastcgi-temp-path=$PATH_NGINX/var/cache/fastcgi_temp \*
* --http-uwsgi-temp-path=$PATH_NGINX/var/cache/uwsgi_temp \*
* --http-scgi-temp-path=$PATH_NGINX/var/cache/scgi_temp \*
* --user=$thisuser \*
* --group=$thisuser \*
* --with-zlib=$MAIN_SRC/$ZLIB \*
* --with-pcre=$MAIN_SRC/$pcre \*
* --with-openssl=$MAIN_SRC/$OPENSSL \*
* --with-http_ssl_module \*
* --with-http_realip_module \*
* --with-http_addition_module \*
* --with-http_sub_module \*
* --with-http_dav_module \*
* --with-http_flv_module \*
* --with-http_mp4_module \*
* --with-http_gzip_static_module \*
* --with-http_random_index_module \*
* --with-http_secure_link_module \*
* --with-http_stub_status_module \*
* --with-http_v2_module \*
* --with-mail_ssl_module \*
* --with-file-aio \*
* --add-module=$MAIN_SRC/nginx-rtmp-module \*
* --add-module=$MAIN_SRC/ngx_pagespeed-release-$NPS_VERSION \*
* --with-threads \*
* --with-ipv6 && make && make install >> $LOG 2>&1*
_______________________________________________
nginx mailing list
nginx@nginx.org
http://mailman.nginx.org/mailman/listinfo/nginx
Hi!

gzip is a directive defined by ngx_http_gzip_filter_module while you only
link the ngx_http_gzip_static_module.


On 30 October 2017 at 18:34:15, nik mur ([email protected]) wrote:

*http_ssl_module*
_______________________________________________
nginx mailing list
nginx@nginx.org
http://mailman.nginx.org/mailman/listinfo/nginx
Hi Zhang,

If I pass* --with-http_gzip_filter_module* , the configure script throws me
an error unknown option.

Googling suggested that you don't need to add this module it's provided by
Nginx by default.

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 4:24 PM Zhang Chao <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> gzip is a directive defined by ngx_http_gzip_filter_module while you only
> link the ngx_http_gzip_static_module.
>
>
> On 30 October 2017 at 18:34:15, nik mur ([email protected]) wrote:
>
> *http_ssl_module*
>
> _______________________________________________
> nginx mailing list
> nginx@nginx.org
> http://mailman.nginx.org/mailman/listinfo/nginx
_______________________________________________
nginx mailing list
nginx@nginx.org
http://mailman.nginx.org/mailman/listinfo/nginx
Valentin V. Bartenev
Re: [Module] ngx_http_gzip issue : unknown directive "gzip"
October 31, 2017 03:00PM
On Monday 30 October 2017 10:33:55 nik mur wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently I upgraded my nginx to 1.12 version from 1.10 branch.
>
> The build from source went through without any issues, but while starting
> Nginx I am receiving this error:
>
> *>>[emerg] 342#342: unknown directive "gzip" in
> /usr/local/apps/nginx/etc/conf.d/gzip.conf:2*
>
[..]

You should check your full configuration. It's unclear where this "gzip"
directive is included.

Please note, there's no such directive in mail and stream modules.

wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev

_______________________________________________
nginx mailing list
nginx@nginx.org
http://mailman.nginx.org/mailman/listinfo/nginx
Hi Valentin,

My Nginx installs in /usr/local/apps

So the gzip.conf file is included from the nginx.conf in the
/usr/local/apps/nginx/etc/
directory, so no issues there.

This is very strange behavior no errors while building and even the error
logs are not helpful, the same structure and configure script works for
1.10 and below.

I am really banging my head over this, would be really helpful if you or
anyone can point me in the right direction to debug this.

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 7:21 PM Valentin V. Bartenev <[email protected]>
wrote:

> On Monday 30 October 2017 10:33:55 nik mur wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Recently I upgraded my nginx to 1.12 version from 1.10 branch.
> >
> > The build from source went through without any issues, but while starting
> > Nginx I am receiving this error:
> >
> > *>>[emerg] 342#342: unknown directive "gzip" in
> > /usr/local/apps/nginx/etc/conf.d/gzip.conf:2*
> >
> [..]
>
> You should check your full configuration. It's unclear where this "gzip"
> directive is included.
>
> Please note, there's no such directive in mail and stream modules.
>
> wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev
>
> _______________________________________________
> nginx mailing list
> nginx@nginx.org
> http://mailman.nginx.org/mailman/listinfo/nginx
>
_______________________________________________
nginx mailing list
nginx@nginx.org
http://mailman.nginx.org/mailman/listinfo/nginx
Maxim Dounin
Re: [Module] ngx_http_gzip issue : unknown directive "gzip"
November 01, 2017 01:40PM
Hello!

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 04:51:31PM +0300, Valentin V. Bartenev wrote:

> On Monday 30 October 2017 10:33:55 nik mur wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Recently I upgraded my nginx to 1.12 version from 1.10 branch.
> >
> > The build from source went through without any issues, but while starting
> > Nginx I am receiving this error:
> >
> > *>>[emerg] 342#342: unknown directive "gzip" in
> > /usr/local/apps/nginx/etc/conf.d/gzip.conf:2*
> >
> [..]
>
> You should check your full configuration. It's unclear where this "gzip"
> directive is included.
>
> Please note, there's no such directive in mail and stream modules.

The message suggests that the directive is indeed unknown, not
just used in a wrong context. When a directive is used in a wrong
context, the message would be "is not allowed here" instead.

In this particular case I would recommend to compile without any
3rd party modules, likely one of the 3rd party modules screwed up
building due to incorrect hacks used in config script.

--
Maxim Dounin
http://mdounin.ru/
_______________________________________________
nginx mailing list
nginx@nginx.org
http://mailman.nginx.org/mailman/listinfo/nginx
Hi Maxim,

Thanks for the Tip.

It seems that PageSpeed Module was the culprit, after compiling
without PageSpeed, GZIP worked perfectly.

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 6:03 PM Maxim Dounin <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 04:51:31PM +0300, Valentin V. Bartenev wrote:
>
> > On Monday 30 October 2017 10:33:55 nik mur wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Recently I upgraded my nginx to 1.12 version from 1.10 branch.
> > >
> > > The build from source went through without any issues, but while
> starting
> > > Nginx I am receiving this error:
> > >
> > > *>>[emerg] 342#342: unknown directive "gzip" in
> > > /usr/local/apps/nginx/etc/conf.d/gzip.conf:2*
> > >
> > [..]
> >
> > You should check your full configuration. It's unclear where this "gzip"
> > directive is included.
> >
> > Please note, there's no such directive in mail and stream modules.
>
> The message suggests that the directive is indeed unknown, not
> just used in a wrong context. When a directive is used in a wrong
> context, the message would be "is not allowed here" instead.
>
> In this particular case I would recommend to compile without any
> 3rd party modules, likely one of the 3rd party modules screwed up
> building due to incorrect hacks used in config script.
>
> --
> Maxim Dounin
> http://mdounin.ru/
> _______________________________________________
> nginx mailing list
> nginx@nginx.org
> http://mailman.nginx.org/mailman/listinfo/nginx
>
_______________________________________________
nginx mailing list
nginx@nginx.org
http://mailman.nginx.org/mailman/listinfo/nginx
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login