Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Updating the unofficial GitHub mirror

Posted by Dan Kohn 
Dan Kohn
Updating the unofficial GitHub mirror
March 11, 2018 06:00PM
I'm the author of the CNCF Cloud Native Interactive Landscape, which tracks
projects and products used in open source. We include HAProxy:

https://landscape.cncf.io/grouping=no&selected=ha-proxy&sort=latest-commit

However, our info on latest commit is out of date because
https://github.com/haproxy/haproxy is no longer mirroring
http://www.haproxy.org/. Would it be possible to update the mirror, please?
--
Dan Kohn <[email protected]>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com
Willy Tarreau
Re: Updating the unofficial GitHub mirror
March 12, 2018 08:20AM
Hi Dan,

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 12:55:59PM -0400, Dan Kohn wrote:
> I'm the author of the CNCF Cloud Native Interactive Landscape, which tracks
> projects and products used in open source. We include HAProxy:
>
> https://landscape.cncf.io/grouping=no&selected=ha-proxy&sort=latest-commit
>
> However, our info on latest commit is out of date because
> https://github.com/haproxy/haproxy is no longer mirroring
> http://www.haproxy.org/. Would it be possible to update the mirror, please?

The Github link above is not a mirror, it's an unofficial fork with a few
local patches which has already caused some confusion in the past as it
was receiving issues and pull requests that were ignored.

The correct Git URLs are :

http://git.haproxy.org/git/haproxy.git/ (development tree)
http://git.haproxy.org/git/haproxy-1.8.git/ (1.8 stable tree)

Hoping this helps,
Willy
Pavlos Parissis
Re: Updating the unofficial GitHub mirror
March 12, 2018 10:50AM
On 12/03/2018 08:07 πμ, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 12:55:59PM -0400, Dan Kohn wrote:
>> I'm the author of the CNCF Cloud Native Interactive Landscape, which tracks projects and
>> products used in open source. We include HAProxy:
>>
>> https://landscape.cncf.io/grouping=no&selected=ha-proxy&sort=latest-commit
>>
>> However, our info on latest commit is out of date because https://github.com/haproxy/haproxy is
>> no longer mirroring http://www.haproxy.org/. Would it be possible to update the mirror,
>> please?
>
> The Github link above is not a mirror, it's an unofficial fork with a few local patches which has
> already caused some confusion in the past as it was receiving issues and pull requests that were
> ignored.

Have you asked the maintainer of the github fork to change the project to 'unofficial-haproxy' or
something else?

Cheers,
Pavlos
Willy Tarreau
Re: Updating the unofficial GitHub mirror
March 12, 2018 11:20AM
Hi Pavlos,

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 10:42:30AM +0100, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
> Have you asked the maintainer of the github fork to change the project to
> 'unofficial-haproxy' or something else?

Yes, and he's not opposed to it, he just doesn't have much time to deal
with this. In short we "just" have to move this repository somewhere
else, possibly on his personal account, and reuse it to periodically
push updates. Now that Lukas has purged all issues and pull requests,
I'd say that there is not much showstopper to do it. I simply have no
idea how to proceed from here :-/

Willy
Dan Kohn
Re: Updating the unofficial GitHub mirror
March 12, 2018 12:30PM
>
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 10:42:30AM +0100, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
> > Have you asked the maintainer of the github fork to change the project to
> > 'unofficial-haproxy' or something else?
>

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 6:15 AM, Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yes, and he's not opposed to it, he just doesn't have much time to deal
> with this. In short we "just" have to move this repository somewhere
> else, possibly on his personal account, and reuse it to periodically
> push updates. Now that Lukas has purged all issues and pull requests,
> I'd say that there is not much showstopper to do it. I simply have no
> idea how to proceed from here :-/
>

We've set up our scraper to make use of GitHub and GitHub mirrors rather
than being able to access any git repo.

Would it be possible for you to connect me to the owner of the haproxy
mirror https://github.com/haproxy? We have a good relationship with
GitHub, and GitHub might be willing to take over the mirror and get it up
to date again. Note that GitHub currently mirrors a number of projects <
https://help.github.com/articles/about-github-mirrors/>;. And that GitHub is
an HAProxy user <
https://githubengineering.com/glb-part-2-haproxy-zero-downtime-zero-delay-reloads-with-multibinder/
>.
--
Dan Kohn <[email protected]>
Executive Director, Cloud Native Computing Foundation https://www.cncf.io
+1-415-233-1000 https://www.dankohn.com
Willy Tarreau
Re: Updating the unofficial GitHub mirror
March 12, 2018 12:40PM
On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 07:22:22AM -0400, Dan Kohn wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 10:42:30AM +0100, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
> > > Have you asked the maintainer of the github fork to change the project to
> > > 'unofficial-haproxy' or something else?
> >
>
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 6:15 AM, Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Yes, and he's not opposed to it, he just doesn't have much time to deal
> > with this. In short we "just" have to move this repository somewhere
> > else, possibly on his personal account, and reuse it to periodically
> > push updates. Now that Lukas has purged all issues and pull requests,
> > I'd say that there is not much showstopper to do it. I simply have no
> > idea how to proceed from here :-/
> >
>
> We've set up our scraper to make use of GitHub and GitHub mirrors rather
> than being able to access any git repo.

OK.

> Would it be possible for you to connect me to the owner of the haproxy
> mirror https://github.com/haproxy?

Sure, I'll give you all this off-list.

> We have a good relationship with
> GitHub, and GitHub might be willing to take over the mirror and get it up
> to date again.

Great. We have some good contacts as well (some even on this list), helping
us improve the situation at the beginning, but due to the number of pending
issues and pull-reqs, we didn't want to break everything by then, and since
we've fixed this we haven't made progress (mostly by lack of demand I'd say).
Your argument above is a good reason to complete the move.

> Note that GitHub currently mirrors a number of projects <
> https://help.github.com/articles/about-github-mirrors/>;.

That could even be easier to set up, I didn't know.

> And that GitHub is
> an HAProxy user <
> https://githubengineering.com/glb-part-2-haproxy-zero-downtime-zero-delay-reloads-with-multibinder/

Yep, we're well aware :-)

Cheers,
Willy
Georg Faerber
Re: Updating the unofficial GitHub mirror
March 12, 2018 12:40PM
On 18-03-12 07:22:22, Dan Kohn wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 10:42:30AM +0100, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
> > > Have you asked the maintainer of the github fork to change the project to
> > > 'unofficial-haproxy' or something else?
> >
>
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 6:15 AM, Willy Tarreau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Yes, and he's not opposed to it, he just doesn't have much time to deal
> > with this. In short we "just" have to move this repository somewhere
> > else, possibly on his personal account, and reuse it to periodically
> > push updates. Now that Lukas has purged all issues and pull requests,
> > I'd say that there is not much showstopper to do it. I simply have no
> > idea how to proceed from here :-/
> >
>
> We've set up our scraper to make use of GitHub and GitHub mirrors rather
> than being able to access any git repo.

I guess I won't be the only one being happy to see this policy revisited
(and changed).

Seriously: The "Linux Foundation" should to better.

Cheers,
Georg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login