Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1.7.8 upgrade question

Posted by [email protected] 
1.7.8 upgrade question
August 03, 2017 01:00AM
Hi,

we want to roll-out 1.7.8 in production (upgrading from 1.6.8).

While preparing the update (reading changelog/mailinglist/git log,
searching for known issues etc.), i stumbled upon this:

https://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg26282.html


I don't know if i'm interpreting "TUNNEL mode" correctly.

We are using "option http-server-close" in fe + be, so would this bug
affect us?


P.S.: I know a patch exists for the issue in 1.7 tree, but we're usually
only use version releases in production.


---------------------------
Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Bjoern
Willy Tarreau
Re: 1.7.8 upgrade question
August 04, 2017 06:00PM
Hi Bjoern,

On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 12:52:10AM +0200, bjunity@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we want to roll-out 1.7.8 in production (upgrading from 1.6.8).
>
> While preparing the update (reading changelog/mailinglist/git log,
> searching for known issues etc.), i stumbled upon this:
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg26282.html
>
>
> I don't know if i'm interpreting "TUNNEL mode" correctly.
>
> We are using "option http-server-close" in fe + be, so would this bug
> affect us?

It only depends if your server always emits a content-length or not.
But regardless of this, only the logs are affected, the data are
properly transported.

> P.S.: I know a patch exists for the issue in 1.7 tree, but we're usually
> only use version releases in production.

And you're right. We've been holding on that patch a little bit before
doing a release because there are always some people here deploying such
code in production, with very optimized and safe deployment processes
where the smallest hickup will make them quickly revert. When we perform
a release, we know that most users will deploy without considering the
rollback. And it's our responsibility as maintainers to ensure they can
continue to trust us. This way the fix is under observation by the fastest
adopters and will have received a broader testing once we emit 1.7.9.

We may possibly do it next week by the way, I know that some people are
waiting and I normally dont' like waiting too much.

By the way, the list of fixes in 1.7 branch that are not yet in a released
version can be consulted here :

http://www.haproxy.org/bugs/bugs-1.7.html

The major bug just after the tunnel fix was precisely a fix for a regression
introduced there, which shows it's a good idea to stick to releases when in
doubt :-)

Regards,
Willy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login